The Manager, Project Development (MPD) is a key member of the business unit leadership team and will be counted on as a key contributor to the growth and continued development of the operations of the Northern Alberta marketplace. A key component of this position is building relationships outside of the business, this will require a commitment of additional time outside of a normal workday. The MPD will be responsible to lead business development initiatives from the identification of opportunities that fit Clark Builders strategic business planning to the execution of project prime contracts. Leadership of preconstruction phase along with smooth transition to and support of the project teams through all phases of project delivery will also be key responsibilities for this role. In this position you will be working closely with the Proposal team to generate focused, concise and high quality responses to Expressions of Interest, Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposals. You will also be required to assist the team in producing materials for interviews and presentations, as well as participating in the interview or at the very least, the interview prep process. This position will report to the Vice President, Project Development.
- Initiate and maintain excellent relationships with existing and potential clients.
- Understand client needs and be able to communicate with confidence how Clark Builders can successfully meet those objectives.
- Review and understand request for proposals in order to complete pre-qualification requirements and attend pre-bid meetings.
- Work with the Estimating and Project Development team to provide proposals, prequalification documents, pre-construction estimates and development strategies.
- Help develop and implement market strategies and identify target market groups and areas.
- Research in order to identify emerging market opportunities and monitor competitor activities.
- Attend pre-award meetings as required and assist in the negotiation of final contracts.
- Identify new work leads and manage lead follow-up, record keeping and information distribution.
- Follow up with clients after the award of a project to ensure superior customer service and identify opportunities for additional work.
- Assist other members of the in the development of effective promotional literature for the division.
- Work with associations and community groups to help develop the Clark Builders brand.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Along with estimating department, work with assigned project team to transfer proposal and bid information to Project Managers, Coordinators and Superintendents at project start-up.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Proven ability to develop strategic internal and external relationships with key stakeholders.
- Superior communication skills (verbal, written & presentation).
- Strong personal motivation and business development skills needed to proactively generate and win major project opportunities.
- Friendly, outgoing demeanor with strong diplomatic skills to deal with a large variety of personalities with an ability to explain, defend and present ideas.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Capable of working under pressure to meet deadlines and prioritize work.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business would be an asset
- 7+ years relevant (commercial/institutional) construction experience (Project Management, Project Coordination, Estimating)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of commercial construction will be considered as asset.