Project Accountant / Supervisor
The Project Accountant will be responsible for providing quality financial services to the Project which includes: contract review, working with budgets, preparation of billings, assisting with forecasting and ensuring efficiency.
The Project Accountant reports to the Controller and has functional accountability to the Senior Vice President of Southern Alberta.
- Job Set Up: Set up new project and client records
- Project Budgets: Input and maintain project budgets, including initial budget set-up in the accounting system, and subsequent changes resulting from client change orders or field instructions;
- Contracts: Maintain contract and owner change order files;
- Job Cost Maintenance: Review job costs to ensure all costs are input by cut-off. Prepare correcting journal entries as required;
- Progress Claims: Set up progress claims using accounting software; modify as required for incoming client change orders. Prepare progress billings including attachments, W.C.B., Statutory Declarations and other special schedules as required by the client;
- Construction Management: Coordinate input of commitments, costs and labour markups. Run reports for billings; responsible for the compilation of copies; prepare invoices. Prepare analysis and attachments as required for Project Management team and client;
- Other Billings: Prepare miscellaneous and charge-back invoices;
- Collections: Work with Project Managers to collect overdue accounts. Code incoming cash receipts;
- Reconciliation: Reconcile billings and job cost accounts; prepare analysis and reports. Assist external auditors in reconciling A/R confirmations or accounts;
- Adherence to company policies or procedures;
- Communicate any potential profitability or risk to management;
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Supervise 1-3 employees
- Coordinate and facilitate the work activities of the division’s Accounting Department.
- Train, mentor and develop Accounting Department staff
- Prepare divisional financial analysis and reports
- Develop strategies with divisional and corporate leaders to achieve goals
- Work with divisional and corporate groups on the development and implementation of new policy, process and tools
- Collaborate with Project and Department managers to develop/improve divisional forecasts, budgets and reporting
Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experienced in job cost accounting and cost analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with members of the Calgary team as well as other individuals of Clark Builders
- Thorough, detail orientated and highly organized in a fast paced environment
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 4 years related accounting experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Construction/engineering/estimating experience
- Familiarity with the Builders’ Lien Act of Alberta considered an asset.