Senior Project Manager (Calgary)
Reporting overall to the Vice President, Operations; on a day-to-day basis the Senior Project Manager will be reporting and taking direction from his/her or Project Executive in all aspects of the construction process on the project that they are assigned. The Senior Project Manager working with the Project Superintendent will be responsible for and not limited to managing safety, quality, risks, maximizing project earnings, human resources and staff training, client expectations, accurate financial reporting and assuring efficient, timely, fulfillment of all corporate and project obligations, complete communications among all project team members and organizations to construct the project on time, within the budget and to the quality specified. Project Manager role is diverse, and varies between each project.
The Senior Project Manager is also responsible to foster and develop client, consultant, third party and trade relationships in the course of their duties.
Project Start Up:
- Chair the project handover meeting from Project Development/Estimating
- Conduct project trade buyout meetings
- Conduct project startup meetings for individual trades
- Utilities and site services applications
- Permit applications.
- Review and or prepare prime contract against submitted tender and/or proposal, ready for senior management review and client /consultant review
- Quantity take-offs for a various scopes of the project.
- Finalize Prime Contractor.
- Client Risk assessment.
- Prepare project execution plan.
- Establish project organization charts and staffing needs.
- Assist in estimating tender closeout and buy outs.
- Setup project addition form, financials and billing schedule.
- Prepare staffing and resources plan.
- Prepare logistics planning.
- Establish file management plan.
- Procurement management, project buyout and award.
- Prepare and issue letter of intents (LOI) and subcontracts.
- Put in place bonding and insurance.
- Finalize project estimates.
- Safety planning including assistance with re-project hazard assessments, ongoing safety inspections, ongoing safety hazard assessment and other duties.
- Understand and abide by the requirements of the CB Safety and Loss Prevention Policies and Procedures
- Understand and abide by the requirements of the local building authorities, develop and maintain relationships with permits and licensing personnel including building inspectors
- Quality control planning.
- Communications plan.
- Create and manage schedule.
- Strategic and fee enhancement planning.
- Establish and manage client and corporate objective.
- Modify project plan for success.
Project Execution and Document Control:
Track productivity and performance of the project.
Manage stakeholder expectations
Chair the Quarterly operational review meetings
Manage staff assignments.
Prepare a cash flow project and manage the project in accordance with the cash flow requirements.
- Advise management of pending risk elements and seek assistance on all risk matters or legal matters.
Establish and manage document control process.
Establish and manager the quality control plan.
Establish and manage the project schedule, including the implementation of the Last Planner System.
Chair trade, owner/consultant meetings and issue minutes.
Chair, site safety meetings and issue minutes
Project accounting and cost control, including working with project accountants
Monthly financial reports and eCMS, including the preparation of monthly project reports, both internal and external including the monthly MOR report.
PO and subcontract claims.
Client billings including preparation, payment, etc.
Dispute and claim management.
Lead and train project teams including developing and mentoring support staff including project coordinators, junior project managers
Resolve trade and performance issues.
Provide regular management of Key Project Indicators (KPI’s).
Project Close Out:
- Prepare the project close out procedures including punch lists, start up and handover requirements
- Manage the trade contractor deliverables for project close out, including startup, warranties, demonstration requirements
- Administrative project closure.
- Prime contractor.
- Commissioning and equipment start-up.
- Training seminars.
- City inspections.
- Final and holdback invoices and payment
- Final consultant and schedule C’s.
- Substantial completion certificate.
- Warranty period.
- Support and grow ongoing sub-trade and client relationships.
- Assist in obtaining work by way of completing a portfolio of successful projects.
- Participate in project interviews.
- Participate in CBU Leadership.
- Ensure internal and external requirements are achieved.
- Manage financial collection and closeout.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
Skills & Knowledge:
Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
The ability to efficiently assist and administer multiple tasks.
Analytical thinker to interpret information in order to understand issues.
Ability to make decisions on a variety of levels of complexity, ambiguity and risk.
Can define tasks and milestones to achieve objectives while ensuring optimal use of resources.
Can prevent, manage and resolve conflicts.
Questions conventional approaches, explores alternatives and provides innovative solutions.
Can identify, assess and mange risks while striving to meet objectives.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A Post-Secondary Certificate/Degree in Engineering or the equivalent of a designated Professional Engineer or a Technical School graduate in a Construction related discipline.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working in a Project Manager role for a Construction Management organization, managing construction of Commercial, Industrial or Intuitional buildings.
- Can lead, mentor and motivate medium to large project teams.
- Must be able to competently manage the construction process from project startup to project closeout for all sizes and levels of complexity projects.
- Actively participate in career development opportunities
- Undertake and receive required safety training in accordance with policies.
- Networking and relationship building;
- Customer focus;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Results focus;
- Managing for results;
- Developing others;
- Risk Management;
- Creative thinking;
- Conflict resolution;
- Planning and organizing;
- Decision Making; and,
- Analytical thinking.