Project Superintendent (Concrete)
At Clark Builders, We Build Exceptional Experiences.
Our Remarkable team, made up of individuals with unique talents and perspective, works together each and every day to deliver exceptional, successful projects and experiences for our clients across Western and Northern Canada through innovation and inspiration.
Apply now for your exceptional career opportunity!
The Project Superintendent (Concrete) position will provide overall onsite leadership, administrative and technical management for the construction of a project. The Project Superintendent is accountable for the onsite safety, contracts, schedule, quality, cost control, people and administration of the project. The Superintendent is responsible to manage project performance and to protect and promote the interests of Clark Builders, its employees, clients, subtrades and relationships to ensure that projects are delivered on time, on budget and with quality in a safe and efficient manner.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure proactive project safety management and security practices in keeping with the Clark Builders Safety & Loss Prevention program and applicable legislation.
- Cooperate fully with Clark Builders' Safety Department and promote ongoing training and understand and enforce responsibilities under the Prime Contractor legislation as applicable.
Contracts / Pre-Construction
- Have a thorough understanding of the different types of construction contracts frequently utilized with Clark Builders (Stipulated Sum, Construction Management, Design-Build).
- Have complete knowledge of all Prime Contract and Subcontract documents, drawings, specifications and relevant key
- Plan and review the construction program with the Project Manager and Business Development/Estimating staff including procedures, plant, temporary facilities, construction procedures, equipment and
- Be accountable for the acquisition, usage and management of all tools and equipment.
- Purchase construction materials for work to be delivered by Clark Builders' workforce, and /or that is not tendered, or part of a subcontractor's
- Manage costs through proactive planning and utilize CB Resources as a first source where
- Predetermine temporary construction services and efficient timing of
- Establishing effective communication with consultants, subcontractors and clients
- Assist Business Development/Estimating with constructability/execution planning for the purposes of bidding
Cost Control and Administration
- Have a strong working knowledge and understanding of the project estimate (including self-performed work breakdowns, field purchasing requirements, subcontract breakdowns, cash allowances and seasonal controls).
- Accountability to project costs is a shared responsibility between the Superintendent and Project Manager.
- Submission of cost coded timesheets, quantity reports, purchase orders, delivery slips, QA/QC documentation, daily reports and all administrative tracking/management documents as required by the
- Review all plans, specifications and project documentation for the purposes of discrepancies and constructability review. Report all findings in a timely manner to the appropriate parties as determined by
- Manage and track potential Contract changes. Track and report labour/material/subcontract time and material field activities. Assist the Project Manager in work-up of Stipulated Sum CCN submissions relative to constructability means and methods and schedule
- Participate in month-end project
- Ability to perform mid-level internet and computer functions to facilitate required project
- Plan and facilitate field trade meetings to ensure project metrics are
- Lead and manage resources and Clark Builders onsite workforce to maximize productivity
- Assist the Project Manager in the development of the project Master schedule. The prime responsibility of schedule tracking and management shall reside with the Superintendent.
- Utilize 3-week look-aheads to manage on site schedules, resources, trade commencement and material
- Coordinate and direct the activities of subcontractors and
- Ensure all necessary permits and approvals are in place and copies of such approvals are on site prior to commencement of the applicable scopes of work. This includes, but is not limited to, permanent and temporary works, self-performed and subcontracted
- Assist the Project Manager in establishing a detailed commissioning/handover schedule. Ensure a rigid, detailed and timely close-out
- Work with the Project Manager to ensure trade start-up meetings are held prior to subcontractor work
- Work with the Project Manager to establish schedule recovery plans in the case of schedule
QA / QC
- Establish a site QA/QC plan during the preconstruction phase in conjunction with the Project Manager. Ensure QA/QC is managed and documented to demonstrate compliance with the Contract
- Coordinate and direct the activities of Inspection agencies and affect remedial actions indicated within the reports. Advise the Project Manager if items appear outside of the scope of the
- Effectively plan and coordinate the project completion and handover
- Direct and facilitate training of the Clark Builders'
- Participate in CBU initiatives to further personal growth and knowledge
- Assist in performance evaluations of personnel when required. Promote positive morale and encourage growth opportunities through leadership
- Maintain good relations with all project stakeholders and the
- Facilitate growth and development of leadership roles within the Foreman and lead hand forces. Policies & Procedures
- Adhere to Clark Builders Policies
- Journeyman trade certificate
- A minimum of 5 years trade experience or relevant post-secondary education
- A minimum 5 years relevant concrete scope project management / site leadership experience (on site experience mandatory). This can be concurrent with the 5 years experience noted above.
- It is expected that this position will support construction Contracts up to $75M in
- Demonstrated competency in a Superintendent role is required with a minimum of 4 projects of 3 separate contract types being successfully
- The individual must have demonstrated personal development towards skillsets required to grow into a more senior superintendent role
- Must be fluent and knowledgeable in current PERI formwork systems
- Experience with Last Planner® System an asset
- Experience with pull planning
- Experience with Principles of Workplace Organization and 5S
- Completion of training required to meet the expectations of the role as outlined in the CB Progression
- Current First Aid, Leadership for Safety Excellence and Prime Contractor
- Up to date safety training relevant to the requirements of the
- A valid Class 5 driver's license is
- The Superintendent must demonstrate Clark Builders Core Values – Trust, Respect and Communication
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent communication, organizational and supervisory skills are required
- Mid-level working knowledge of - MS Outlook, Excel, Word & Project
- Effective utilization and maximization of time with the ability to manage numerous competing
- The consistent ability to manage performance and effectively deliver constructive feedback.
- A thorough understanding of productivity and quality control and the ability to maximize resources and deliver a superior
- An excellent understanding and maximization of scheduling
- Outstanding negotiating skills
- The ability to build and align a team to a common goal in very challenging
- Outstanding conflict management skills combined with the proven ability to consistently find creative solution and / or
- Excellent and decisive decision making skills
- An excellent track record of maintaining records / documents and completion of the required
- Well-developed human resources skills such as managing performance, employee development and constructive
- An excellent working knowledge of project costs
- Outstanding ability to manage and maximize staff
- A detailed knowledge of Building
- A continual focus on personal
- Excellent written, verbal and listening skills are
- Excellent leadership and mentorship skills are
- A track record bringing out and developing top talent in the Clark Builders
- Excellent leadership ability is required
- This is a safety sensitive position
Environmental aspects (weather, heights, etc.) play an important role for this position since work is often outdoors.
Site travel and shift rotation required