Project Superintendent 1 - (Calgary)
At Clark Builders, We Build Exceptional Experiences.
Our Remarkable team, made up of individuals with unique talents and perspectives, works together each and every day to deliver exceptional, successful projects and experiences for our clients across Western and Northern Canada through innovation and inspiration.
If you are a courageous leader, who builds teams of construction professional through a respectful can do attitude all the while delivering results we are looking for you.
Apply now for your exceptional career opportunity!
The Project Superintendent position provides overall onsite leadership, administrative and technical management for the construction of a project with a number of onsite team members directed by this position. The Project Superintendent is accountable for the onsite safety, contracts, schedule, quality, cost control, people and administration of the project. The Superintendent is responsible to manage project performance and to protect and promote the interests of Clark Builders, its employees, clients, subtrades and relationships to ensure that projects are delivered on time, on budget and with quality in a safe and efficient manner.
The Project Superintendent reports to the Vice President, Construction.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure proactive project safety management and security practices in keeping with the Clark Builders Safety & Loss Prevention program and applicable legislation. Cooperate fully with Clark Builders' Safety Department and promote ongoing training and development.
- Understand and enforce responsibilities under the Prime Contractor legislation as applicable.
- Have a thorough understanding of the different types of construction contracts frequently utilized with Clark Builders (Stipulated Sum, Construction Management, Design-Build).
- Have complete knowledge of all Prime Contract and Subcontract documents, drawings, specifications and relevant key drivers.
- Plan and review the construction program with the Project Manager and Business Development/Estimating staff including procedures, plant, temporary facilities, construction procedures, equipment and manpower.
- Be accountable for the acquisition, usage and management of all tools and equipment.
- Purchase construction materials for work to be delivered by Clark Builders' workforce, and /or that is not tendered, or part of a subcontractor's scope.
- Manage costs through proactive planning and utilize CB Resources as a first source where practical.
- Predetermine temporary construction services and efficient timing of same.
- Establishing effective communication with consultants, subcontractors and clients
- Assist Business Development/Estimating with constructability/execution planning for the purposes of bidding work.
- Maintain accountability of project sector planning relative to overall contract deliverables and proactively assist in recovery as required.
Cost Control and Administration
- Have a strong working knowledge and understanding of the project estimate (including self-performed work breakdowns, field purchasing requirements, subcontract breakdowns, cash allowances and seasonal controls). Accountability to project costs is a shared responsibility between the Superintendent and Project Manager.
- Submission of cost coded timesheets, quantity reports, purchase orders, delivery slips, QA/QC documentation, daily reports and all administrative tracking/management documents as required by the Project.
- Review all plans, specifications and project documentation for the purposes of discrepancies and constructability review. Report all findings in a timely manner to the appropriate parties as determined by Contract.
- Manage and track potential Contract changes. Track and report labour/material/subcontract time and material field activities. Assist the Project Manager in work-up of Stipulated Sum CCN submissions relative to constructability means and methods and schedule impacts.
- Participate in month-end project reviews.
- Ability to perform internet and computer functions to facilitate required project controls.
- Plan and facilitate field trade meetings to ensure project metrics are achieved.
- Lead and manage resources and Clark Builders onsite workforce to maximize productivity.
- Assist the Project Manager in the development of the project Master schedule. The prime responsibility of schedule tracking and management shall reside with the Superintendent.
- Utilize 3-week look-ahead to manage on site schedules, resources, trade commencement and material deliveries.
- Coordinate and direct the activities of subcontractors and suppliers.
- Ensure all necessary permits and approvals are in place and copies of such approvals are on site prior to commencement of the applicable scopes of work. This includes, but is not limited to, permanent and temporary works, self-performed and subcontracted work.
- Assist the Project Manager in establishing a detailed commissioning/handover schedule. Ensure a rigid, detailed and timely close-out process.
- Work with the Project Manager to ensure trade start-up meetings are held prior to subcontractor work commencing.
- Work with the Project Manager to establish schedule recovery plans in the case of schedule slippage
- Establish a site QA/QC plan during the preconstruction phase in conjunction with the Project Manager. Ensure QA/QC is managed and documented to demonstrate compliance with the Contract documents.
- Coordinate and direct the activities of Inspection agencies and affect remedial actions indicated within the reports. Advise the Project Manager if items appear outside of the scope of the Contract.
- Effectively plan and coordinate the project completion and handover process.
- Direct and facilitate training of the Clark Builders' workforce.
- Participate in CBU initiatives to further personal growth and knowledge base.
- Assist in performance evaluations of personnel when required. Promote positive morale and encourage growth opportunities through leadership responsibilities.
- Maintain good relations with all project stakeholders and the public.
- Facilitate growth and development of leadership roles within project team.
Skills and Knowledge
- Outstanding communication, organizational and supervisory skills are essential.
- Strong working knowledge of - MS Outlook, Excel, Word & Project
- Outstanding time management skills with the ability to simultaneously manage complex and numerous competing priorities.
- Outstanding ability to manage performance and effectively deliver constructive feedback.
- An excellent understanding of productivity and quality control and the ability to maximize resources and deliver a superior product.
- A comprehensive understanding and maximization of scheduling skills.
- Outstanding negotiating skills.
- The ability to build and align a team to a common goal in very challenging situations.
- Outstanding conflict management skills combined with the proven ability to use creative win-win solution and / or resolutions.
- Excellent and decisive decision-making skills.
- Outstanding relationship building skills with owners and consultants.
- Maintaining records / documents and completion of the required reports.
- Thorough working knowledge of project financials with the ability to support the Project Manager in project forecasts.
- Well developed human resources skills such as managing performance, employee development, recruitment and constructive feedback.
- Outstanding ability to manage and maximize staff productivity.
- Excellent written, verbal and listening skills are essential..
- Outstanding leadership and mentorship skills are required.
- Developing top talent in the Clark Builders organization.
- Up to date safety training tickets specific to project requirements (CSTS v.9, OSSA Fall Protection, WHMIS, etc.)
- The Superintendent must demonstrate Clark Builders Core Values – Trust, Respect and Communication
- Exposure or understanding of principles of lean thinking
- Experience with coaching teams in collaborative planning
- Experience with continuous improvement or kaizen
Qualifications and Experience
- Journeyman trade certificate
- Current First Aid, Leadership for Safety Excellence and Prime Contractor certification.
- A minimum of 5 years trade experience or relevant post-secondary education
- A minimum 5 years relevant project management / site leadership experience (on site experience mandatory). This can be concurrent with the 5 years’ experience noted above.
- Experience and proven ability to support project pursuits.
- A thorough understanding of Building Science, project types (Commercial, Institutional, High-rise and complex construction projects
- It is expected that this position will support construction Contracts in excess of $75M in value.
- A valid Class 5 driver's license is mandatory.
- Experience with Last Planner® System an asset
- Experience with pull planning
- Experience with Principles of Workplace Organization and 5S
Environmental aspects (weather, heights, etc.) play an important role for this position since work is often outdoors. This is a safety sensitive position.