At Clark Builders, We Build Exceptional Experiences.
Our Remarkable team, made up of individuals with unique talents and perspectives, works together each and every day to deliver exceptional, successful projects and experiences for our clients across Western and Northern Canada through innovation and inspiration.
The Estimator will be part of the Estimating and Project team environments, and provide and coordinate full estimating services on large, complex work and various types of contracts for projects throughout Western Canada. This includes the preparation of contract proposal estimates for one or more disciplines. The Estimator will work on Conceptual Budgets, Design-Build Proposals and Hard Estimates, including quantity takeoffs, unit pricing, and sub-contractor pricing. The Estimator will be part of the tender call and review of Supplier/Sub-Contractor quotes and awards.
Please note this role is office based and the large majority of the individual’s typical work day is spent in a seated position using general office equipment such as but not limited to: computer, phone, printer, scanner, etc.
- Maintain Sub-Contractors/Supplier relations;
- Maintain unit price and productivity knowledge and database;
- Complete accurate and complete estimates;
- Take part in Client meetings;
- Confer with Engineers, Architects and Owners on changes and adjustments to cost estimates and assist in the preparation of studies, materials methods, recommendations and costs estimates as required;
- Preparation of proposals and estimates for the Managers final approval prior to their presentation to potential Clients at bid closing;
- Take part in Project Team meetings;
- Maintain Career Progression plan;
- Attend training courses as required by team leader;
- Ability to perform basic internet and intranet functions;
- Lead training for Estimating team;
- Mentor Junior Estimators;
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to manage multiple workflows and tasks concurrently;
- Ability to prioritize workflows;
- Ability to manage deadlines for completion of assigned tasks;
- Comfortable working in a team environment;
- Ability to lead in a team environment;
- Ability to navigate software packages;
- Knowledge of scheduling packages and ability to build accurate schedules;
- Ability to perform accurate quantity takeoffs both manually and electronically;
- Communicate professionally through verbal and written methods;
- Identify building materials and possible alternatives for cost reduction;
- Develop Sub-Contractor work scopes for tendering;
- Identify bonding and insurance requirements;
- Take part in tender closings;
- Understand Client requirements and incorporate;
- Ability to chair and control meetings;
- Ability to visualize end products without drawings;
- Ability to schematically design project from clients requirements;
- Able to derive alternate designs for cost or time savings; and
Ability to analyze risk associated to project.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A Post-Secondary Certificate/Degree in Engineering or the equivalent of a designated Professional Engineer or a Technical School graduate in a Construction related discipline;
- 10 years Estimating experience;
- Thorough knowledge of company procedures, Estimating techniques, all Engineering disciplines, cost control systems, accounts required and over time.
- Ability to estimate all types of projects/contracts, plus the ability to coordinate and supervise group work efforts is essential.
- Exposure or understanding of principles of lean thinking.
- Experience with coaching teams in collaborative planning.
- Experience with continues improvement.